Diary of a Darts Player

Follow my journey from 'Mad House' to 'Double Top'. The BIG time beckons......

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A lesson in darts.......

Horse & Farrier - 24/10/06 (a)

Last night was our 5th league match. As mentioned previously the team we played are a good set of darters with a few of them playing at super league standard. Pre-match tensions were settled by the news that we were currently lying 5th in the league & only 4 points from the top. A nice start for a team that's only been together for less than 6 months.

pic. The Venue



I got there an unexpected hour early so I had a good practice & hitting the twenty's but my double starting/finishing was way off the usual mark. Some people say this is a good thing because when it matters you usually hit what you want & by not hitting you are ridding these from your system.

Anyway we started the match with Steve Shaw. He eventually got off with a 52, but sadly couldn't get anywhere near any tons & his opponent was on fire finishing in 21 darts. This is super league standard. Dave Murby & Dave walker both were defeated easily although Dave W did get off on a nice 84. Mick Daly played there best & well know player Fran Lynch & as expected was defeated. Fran throwing 3 toms on his way to a double 16. Rob Lancaster rounded up the first half, but was beaten.

At half time we were five nil down at darts & four two down at dominoes. Not the start we wanted.

Pete Kennington kicked off the 2nd half & produced a nice display. Peppering the twenty with a 60 off followed by a 116. His finishing lacked & was eventually beaten. Now 6-0 down we needed a consolation point. I took to the oche to try and achieve it. The oche at the Horse & Farrier is spacious & has a good level of lighting. I felt comfortable in the surroundings. I was to play a super league player. Again not phased I set about the task. Throwing first I didn't get off, neither did my opponent. 6th dart in & I was off on 16 (8x). My next few sets of darts were consistent with my current average my highest being a nice 100. My opponent was also throwing well keeping up with my pace. An eventually double top was needed & I checked out on the 2nd dart. The consolation point was gained & I was a happy man.




Sadly we never gained anymore points in either the Darts or Dominoes. Steve Tennant & Paul Haywood both lost their darts matches.

Darts: 9-1
Dominoes: 8-4

Our first defeat at darts & to be honest it was expected, but not on this scale! I'm sure we have dropped down the league after this defeat.

Personal Performance Indicator (PPI):

4 out of 4 now & the confidence is increasing match by match. A few comments from more experienced team players in the team we nice to hear post match. Apparently I look confident & my whole game has improved over the past few months. This is what I want to hear. Considering the lack of practice my game didn't drop. My current average was proven & let's hope this can be built on.

Anyway im off to admire the pros, but not too much!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home