Diary of a Darts Player

Follow my journey from 'Mad House' to 'Double Top'. The BIG time beckons......

Saturday, October 14, 2006

'Dart' as you mean to go on........

Today I have played in another tournament. I didn’t really mention it in previous posts, don’t ask me why, but I never. Anyway the tournament was held in Lancaster & what nicely named 'The Nick Collyer - Good Last Dart Tournament'. Playing in the Lancaster league during the week I expected to see a few familiar faces. My expectations were correct.



Pre-practice & I was showing signs of possible good form. Throwing several tons, 140's & a 180. These a rare & I must only have 7 to my name since starting in the darting world. I didn’t realise that the tournament was open to everyone, including women &children. Now for my confidence I surely wanted to draw either. The draw took place & I was handed my 'confidence boost'. A woman!! I not saying I would win, but surely it increases your chances?!! I were to play on Board 2. Basically you stay on the board playing the winners of the other matches on your board, until quarter finals etc.

So........

Match 1

I turned up at the oche & was greeted by my opponent..............A 10 year old girl!! Now her dad was watching & he gave me the brief, that if I beat her he would kill me!! Tongue in cheek of course. Now ive never played a child before but my arse was seriously twitching. What if I were to get BEAT? Ridicule. Anyway I let her throw first, that was me being nice!! Now onto the job in hand, 1st 3 darts I threw a 140. Next few sets were around the 60 mark & I was comfortable as you expect. Anyway to cut a nothing match short, I won 3-0 & was through to the next game.

Match 2

A familiar face was waiting for me this time round. This was the girls dad who id beat in the first match. I was warned that he would take revenge for his daughter. Lets play darts!! Again I started brightly, but struggle mid match to pull off 60's/80's which usualyy win you most matches. My finishing was slighlty off par as I twice needed double 3 in two of the legs. Anyway the dad never did get revnege & I again won 3-0.

Match 3

I had a feeling who id be playing in what was the Board Final. Winning this took me into the quarters & secured me with a massive payout of £25!! My next opponent was John Kuta. He playes for Lancaster in the super league & looked a good player from the other games I watched. He won threw first & srated well. I couldnt really get started. He got to the double first but couldnt finish. I took the first leg after been on the backfoot. I should have won the 2nd match & been comfortably 2-0 up, but he capitalised on my poor finishing & we were 1-1. The game looked out of my reach after a poor string of 40's & i was 2-1 down. Throwing 1st in the 4th leg my game picked up & I threw a string of 80+'s followed by a ton. Checking out with a double 4. The deciding match was tense & we were neck & neck all they way to the double. I had several opportunities to win starting for a simple 60 finish to mad house. My opponent needed 20 & couldnt finish. I stepped up for Mad House & wired it 3 times. Gutted. He stepped up & hit 10, followed by a double 5 to take the match.

As always I was gracious in defeat, but slightly annoyed knowing I could have taken win.



Personal Performance Indicator (PPI):

Finally a tournament match win. As the saying goes 2 come at once! Well supopose you cant really count one of them as it was against a child, but its been documented so I am counting it!! The past 2 weeks alone I would consider my game to have improved at a rapid pace. The new stance is helping & although only purchased 2 days ago the stems & flights made a massive difference today. No league game this week as other commitments are being attended (MUFC) so its practice, practice & more of it.

Pictures show random tournaments players, not me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

/---\
|0 0|
| > |
| ? |
\___/

"Who is this new guy on the circuit???" That's what people were heard asking in Lancaster at the weekend. "That's 'Pure Delight'! He's a newby but he's using his in-house Barnsley Chop technique and he's got new arrows"
"Cripes that boy can chuck an arrow" came the response.
"Rumour has it that he was playing with a broken thumb too!"
"What a guy"

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home