Diary of a Darts Player

Follow my journey from 'Mad House' to 'Double Top'. The BIG time beckons......

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Achtung.....Halt!



Brown Cow - 14/11/06 (a)

Well after last weeks 'dry' performance & practice becoming little more than looking at my darts could we produce a win to get us back up the league?

A copy of the league was handed over & we were in a mere 11th out of 16. The defeat against the Horse & Farrier still has a lot to do with this position. Last week result is basically void & im sure the Duke are soon to be kicked out of the league for wasting everybody's time & effort.

The Brown Cow - I haven't been there for around 5 years. The pub used to be a typical ale hole - dark, dingy & full of old blokes. Now it has changed. Doubled in size, more open & brightly lit. A nice darts venue. Once again another team we haven't played before. One known darter, Geoff Diamond. I got told he played for Lancashire at some stage. These were also 2nd in the league.

pic. A bigger Brown Cow



So........

Steve Shaw started the night producing a 112 off. Steady darts throughout with a 32 check. New boy Ross George threw second. Looking promising during practice he couldn't get off & struggled to produce the same display. With the game at 1-1, Andy Markham once again produced a nice display of darts. 62 off followed by two tons with a 20 check. Back in front Dave Murby threw fourth taking his match with a 20 check. Now well back in the lead at 3-1, could Dave Walker spring a surprise & take us into a good half time lead. A 38 off followed by a 125 it looked promising. His finishing lacked finesse but Mad House came in handy & we were 4-1 up at the break.

Darts: 1-4
Dominoes: 4-2

Re-grouping for the 2nd half I decided to join the cause. Bear in mind that my home practice has been non-existent, pre match practice I looked to be on form. A few 140's & felt OK. First 3 darts I got off with 80. My highest check in so far this season. This was possibly the worst thing I could have done. I think I may have found my nerve issues. Read more in PPI. My next sets of darts were very below average. 41's, 26's you get the picture. Eventually I got down to 83. I went for a treble 17 to leave 16x. I hit a single 17 & should have really gone for an even double to leave a 1 dart finish, but I chose double 17. Wired, back to top for 20 leaving 46. My opponent was also struggling at double 16. In a nutshell my opponent hit his double 16 leaving me with nothing. Gutted as I should have won this one.

Anyway we move on & learn to loose before we win. Both Pete Kennington & Steve Tennant lost their matches. At 4-4 we needed 2 wins to take the game. Paul Haywood was back on form with a 42 off, ton & a double top check. 5-4 up could Aussie Mick Daly continue with another win? No....although good darts with an 84 off followed by a 109 his opponent struck first taking the draw.

Overall we played well on the night. A slightly disappointing 2nd half with at least 2 other games we should have taken, but that's darts for you. Beaten on the night after the doms result. It's only a game.

Darts: 5-5
Dominoes: 7-5

Personal Performance Indicator (PPI):

The bandwagon grinds to a halt. To be honest & not disrespectful it shouldn't have. As mentioned after a good set of darts, in this case an 80 off I seem to cave into a nervous wreck. I can feel my arm & stomach shaking. This is something I must try to combat if im to continue the journey. I am hoping that this week sees the board finally back up. My practice im sure will be back to square one & I only have myself to blame.

Any next week it's the cup & back to the Three Mariners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home